As technology continues to advance, recently at an almost exponential rate, it is more important than ever to secure sensitive data to protect it from unauthorized access or abuse. With identity theft on the rise, identity management is a growing concern for companies and individuals.
What is Identity Management, and Why is it so Important?
Identity management, sometimes called identity and access management (IAM), provides validity, issuance, authorization, and security for ID credentials that are used for identification, permissions, or access.
IAM is a crucial element of any business strategy; it helps guarantee security by confirming a user’s identity, authorizing access to resources, and safeguarding information against potential breaches, fraud, and unapproved use.
Higgins Corporation offers secure identification solutions to meet your needs and budget. Our experienced team of Identity Experts will work with you to review all of the available options on everything you will need for your ID card program. Give us a call at 800.486.1312 or click here to contact us online.
In this blog post, we will discuss the following:
- The Growing Need for Identity Management
- Identity Management Day
- How IAM Helps to Mitigate Risks
- The Future of Identity Management
- Assessing Your Current Identity Management Strategy
The Growing Need for Identity Management
Due to the evolution of technology and the growing risk of identity theft and fraud, IAM is becoming increasingly important in today’s digital age.
In the past, identity management was based on physical documents, such as passports and driver’s licenses. Today, IAM has become much more complex with the increasing use of digital technologies. Individuals often have dozens or even hundreds of digital identities, including usernames, passwords, and personal information stored on various online platforms.
As cyber criminals and technologies become more sophisticated, identity theft and fraud continue to rise. According to the 2022 Identity Fraud Study by Javelin Strategy & Research, identity fraud losses total $52 billion in 2021, impacting 42 million U.S. adults.
The need for IAM has become critical in today’s digital age; identity theft and fraud result in financial losses, reputational damage, and even legal consequences for its victims.
As technology continues to evolve, the need for more advanced identity management solutions will only continue to increase. In the meantime, it is imperative that everyone prioritizes IAM to ensure the security of personal and sensitive information.
Identity Management Day (04.11.2023)
To help build awareness of the significance of IAM, the National Cybersecurity Alliance launched Identity Management Day in 2021 to educate business leaders and decision-makers on the importance of IAM, focusing on the dangers of identity and access credentials that are not properly secured.
Identity Management Day is celebrated annually on the second Tuesday of April.
How Identity Management Helps to Mitigate Risks
Identity management serves to mitigate risks associated with identity theft, unauthorized access, and abuse.
Companies can manage identities, access privileges, and user authentication through an IAM system. Businesses can better protect their data and resources by enforcing strong password policies, implementing multifactor authentication, and monitoring access attempts.
Additionally, identity management can help companies comply with industry regulations and data protection laws.
Future of Identity Management
As technology advances and society becomes increasingly digital, the future of IAM will continue to evolve in new and innovative ways.
Here are some of the potential trends and developments that may shape the future of IAM:
- Biometrics: Biometric authentication methods like facial recognition and fingerprint scanning are becoming increasingly common in IAM. In the future, biometric technologies could provide more secure and convenient access to sensitive information.
- Blockchain: Blockchain technology could play a role in identity management by providing a secure, decentralized system for storing and managing identity information. This could eliminate the need for centralized authorities to manage identity information, providing greater privacy and security for individuals.
- Artificial Intelligence: AI-powered IAM solutions could help to detect and prevent fraud by analyzing patterns and behavior to identify potential risks.
- Digital Identity Wallets: Digital identity wallets could become more widespread, providing individuals with a single, secure location to store their digital identities and personal information.
- Privacy: As concerns around privacy continue to grow, the future of IAM will likely prioritize privacy as a key factor. Solutions prioritizing user privacy while providing secure access to sensitive information will likely become more popular.
- Global Standards: Developing global standards for IAM could help create more consistent and interoperable solutions across different countries and industries.
Overall, the future of IAM will likely prioritize security, privacy, and user convenience. As technology continues to evolve, we can expect new and innovative solutions that help to protect our digital identities and sensitive information.
Assessing Your Current Identity Management Strategy
Identity management is crucial in securing sensitive data and mitigating risks associated with identity theft, unauthorized access, and abuse. Identity Management Day is an opportune time for businesses to assess their current identity management strategies and consider implementing more robust solutions. This day holds special significance to Higgins Corporation as it is our area of expertise.
As a leading provider of secure identification solutions, Higgins Corporation is dedicated to helping businesses meet their unique needs and safeguard their sensitive data. Let our experienced team of Identity Experts will work with you to assess your current IAM strategy. Give us a call at 800.486.1312 or click here to contact us online.